Friday, August 05, 2011

The Birth of the New Otaku

I am happy as I am.
In this area of my life at least I am proud that I am me.
And I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.

Many people would see me as not normal. How I spend money on things that are related to anime, or manga, or jpop, or anything Japanese. They say I like it just because its from Japan. That is not true.

I love Japan's culture. I really do. But that doesn't mean that there aren't things that I dislike. The fact that I can never understand the so-called aesthetic beauty and romantic elements of yaoi or BL (boys love) is the number 1 no-no for me. I would get onto to this next time.

Now, this 'phase' as people want to call it, started when I was still so very young. I have always loved those TV programs I relentlessly watched. The shows like Sailormoon, Zenki, Akazukin Cha Cha, Dragon Ball, Lupin III, Fushigi Yuugi, Yu Yu Hakusho, Recca, Ranma 1/2, even Georgie were a big part of my elementary school years. They were my escape from school, from being scolded everyday, and from reality.

It was more than a past-time, I understood the things they were going through; sounds crazy but yeah. I would sing songs that I don't know the meaning of; I didn't even know that it was called anime until I was in 5th grade.

In High School I continued growing up with Inu Yasha and Kagome and searched the Shikon no Tama with them. I journeyed toward the West with Genjo Sanzo, Son Goku, Sha Gojyo, and Cho Hakkai and killed demons along the way. I was with Haru and Elli during their quest to become the RAVE Master. I learned the beginnings of humanoid Personal Computers with Chii and Hideki. I became a student of a radical Teacher Onizuka in his dream to be the greatest instructor ever.

I learn about life.
Who says that its all about fantasy?
No. It's about looking beyond what you see, and looking through all the puns and slapstick and finally being able to really understand the lesson that you get about how to live, how to make friends and keep them, how to be able to be more humane in our wild jungled life on Earth.

I am proud to be an Otaku. I am happy liking what I like. I get along with many by being me, more than by hiding myself in the shadows. I like anime, manga and jpop. And I cosplay too. Got a problem with that?

Being an Otaku ME won't affect the ME as a teacher.
This and that are separate things.

But you will never comprehend what I am saying,
unless you give it a try.

We're all entitled to our own beliefs and interests.
RESPECT that.
Don't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment